Re: Won't compile the simplest of progs.

Yes cygwin (well really gcc) compiles C and C++ code, altough I prefer to use gcc when compiling C code and g++ when compiling C++ code (helps the linker get it right).

The problem with your code is that you are using a windows function (getch()) which does not exist in cygwin (or Unix). The 'proper' Unix way to get simple character input would be to put your terminal in non-canonical mode (stty -icanon min 1 time 0), you can do this within a C/C++ program by using ioctl() (but I've never done it under cygwin so I ignore if it works).
So to keep the story short, to get your program to work do the following:
1) remove the #include <conio.h> since cygwin doesn't know about it - you could put the full path to it (in your msdev directories) - but I don't think that would help much
2) change your call to getch() to _getch() - which is the 'real' library function (getch() is merely a #define to it)
3) compile the following way:
g++ -o Progs/key.exe Progs/keypress.cpp -lmsvcrt
You need to link with msvcrt which is where _getch() is defined. You'll also get a warning about the implicit declaration of _getch(), you can always clean this up later by creating you own conio.h with the good stuff in it.

The resulting program works fine under a 'normal' command prompt (cmd.exe) but does not work very well under the cygwin bash .

Gabriel.