Re: awk question : 0x1a - file end problem

--- "Lasslop, Andre" <Andre.Lasslop@vs.dasa.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to scan binary files (log files of serial i/o, contains lists of
> binary messages with header,tail, and timestamp) with the awk - program. The
> awk-script does what I want. The only problem I detect is, if a 0x1a - Byte
> occurs within the input file this is interpreted as a premature end of file
> ! I know, the awk program is for text-file scanning. Therefore : is there
> any other possibility to scan such binary files for byte-patterns without
> programming such tool by myself ?

The most sure way is to get the source for awk and add a switch to indicate
that you want to process in binary mode and then ensure that the fd's are set
to O_BINARY when the switch is used.

For the time being you can use binary mounts to achieve binary mode defaults.
Caution, scripts and source files with \r\n will need to be modified to \n
only.
===
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)