Re: Samba 2 running in NT box: almost there !!

--- MoMa <siae0071@gc.ehu.es> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been able to port Samba 2 to an NT box with this setup:
> NT 4.0, cygwin Beta 20.1, gcc of this version of cygwin
>
> Well, almost.There is a probleml with the select (cygwin) call in the
> samba function sys_select. This select returns inmediately, with
> errno=EBADF. This seems akward to me at this point of the server
> process, it must be an indicator of a prior error. But the socket opens
> correctly some source lines before, and is ready to listen (errno=0).
>
> This prevents the smbd in NT from serving (does not detect the
> connection from the client) and the smbclient in NT from receiving the
> results of the commands it sends (it connects to a Linux box Samba,
> sends commands but does not receive the returning packages).
>
> If we overcome this, Samba will work on NT. I have done a research on
> the legal/license implications of this, and look very interesting:
>  * The legal limit of 10 connections to an NT workstation dissapear =>
> NT server value for NT workstation price, legal.
>  * No need for CAL (client access license) to connect to an NT box =>
> legal non Win clients, and the NT Terminal server client implications
> seem interesting too.
>
> Can someone help withthe select problem?

This sounds interesting.  Have you tried a Snapshot Version of the cygwin1.dll
and libraries?  Perhaps the select problems has been fixed with them.  SET
CYGWIN=nontsec before starting bash if you have problems with file permissions
using the snapshots.

===
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)