Re: Help? Problem with Cygwin on Win98

Jon M Mollison wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I need a C++ compiler for a class I am taking and downloaded
> Cygwin B20 in order to use cgg.  Unfortunately, I can't seem
> to get Cygwin B20 to operate.  I got the message "Out of
> environment space" message and so attempted to increase the
> amount of environment space in my config.sys by right
> clicking on the Cygwin B20 icon and going to "Properties",
> "advanced" and adding the line `shell=C:\command.com /e:4096
> /p' (C: is your system drive letter.)
>
> Now, when I attempt to run the program, it shuts down
> Windows and restarts in MS-DOS mode.  My computer announces
> that it is running the program, then announces that the
> program cannot be run in DOS mode and reboots Windows...

You're editing the wrong thing - you need to edit your c:\config.sys
file and fix the shell= statement there. That way, it's valid for the
windows session. What you're doing is this:

1. okay, Windows can have a dinky 1k environment space
2. oh, no, the user clicked on a program whose pif specifies a 4k
environment space; I can't provide that. I'd better reboot to MSDOS mode
so the 4k environment can happen
3. <reboot>
4. Waitaminute - that program needs access to windows stuff. It can't
run under MSDOS mode. I'm outta here.
5. <reboot>

So, fix your c:\config.sys file, and get rid of the <Advanced> setting
on the pif file for cygwin.bat. And reboot before trying it out.

--Chuck