Help? Problem with Cygwin on Win98

Greetings,

I need a C++ compiler for a class I am taking and downloaded
Cygwin B20 in order to use cgg.  Unfortunately, I can't seem
to get Cygwin B20 to operate.  I got the message "Out of
environment space" message and so attempted to increase the
amount of environment space in my config.sys by right
clicking on the Cygwin B20 icon and going to "Properties",
"advanced" and adding the line `shell=C:\command.com /e:4096
/p' (C: is your system drive letter.)

Now, when I attempt to run the program, it shuts down
Windows and restarts in MS-DOS mode.  My computer announces
that it is running the program, then announces that the
program cannot be run in DOS mode and reboots Windows...

What have I done wrong here?  Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

-Jon