Re: (Another) newbie problem

No, The compiler and binutils produce and use
the same input/output whether you are compiling
for mingw32 or cygwin. Only the startup files,
libraries and (some) include files need to be kept separate.

The ideal setup would be the cygwin gcc/++.exe compiler driver
and the mingw32 compiler and binutils
That way you could use symlinks where needed. And still have
the fast compiler, and tools.

Sadly because of the command line quoting
issue that won't work. Very Annoying!!

Libraries and (libc) include files MUST be different
and installed into different directories.

-nostdinc and -nostandlib MUST be used in the
nondefault compiler.

if you are using cygwin gcc with -mno-cygwin
and getting errors about _reent then you are
compiling with the cygwin headers.

if you are using mingw32 gcc with -cygwin
(does anyone else do this but me?-)
and getting undefined link errors or
conflicting type errors on common functions
then you are picking up the cygwin headers.

gcc --help;            will tell you a lot
gcc -v --help;        will probably overwhelm you ;-)
gcc (opt) -print-search-dirs;     will show where programs includes and libs are being searched
gcc (opt) -c -H file.c -o file.o;     will show headers included by file.c
echo|gcc (opt) -E -dM -;      will show you what macros are predefined with that opt's