Re: Re[2]: Importing a variable from a DLL

Paul Sokolovsky <paul-ml@is.lg.ua> writes:

>     But at least there might be achieved proper diagnostics of such
> issues, if dlltool would correctly mark data symbols in def, that
> implib would only contain __imp_<symbol> and not <symbol>, and we'd
> get link error when linking with object which doesn't have
> __declspec(dllimport) on that symbol, and not runtime segfaults,
> as we have now.

Sure, but it doesn't solve James' problem. If James could create the
import libraries with all the data marked DATA, it would imply he
already *knows* which these data items are! Once you know, one tricky
part of porting a legacy application over -- after this, it's a matter
of searching for the symbol names and attaching dllimport attribute
in user code.

However, your point is well taken that we should go and fix dlltool.
I believe I did fix it locally at one point, but definitely didn't
submit the changes (don't remember why, perhaps it didn't work).
Contributions welcome of course.

>     It would be better just use ELF and forget about all the gore.
> But rules defined by others.

Welcome to real life.

Regards,
Mumit