Re: Cursors do not work in bash under Win98

Chris Faylor wrote:

> >    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >    Remember this...
> >
> >> Actually, I just tried ctrl-6 and ctrl-] and both "work form me".
> >
> >Congratulations!
> >Maybe you are using an american keyboard? ;)
>
> Ah.  Yes.  The fact that I was using an American keyboard was kinda what
> started this.  Remember?
>
> >BTW: When I use american keyboard layout with my german keyboard the
> >ctrl-] works but ctrl-6 and ctrl-^ (Ahhh, I see, it's the same key on
> >american keyboards... now I remember again...) still doesn't work.

Hi!

Maybe, this mail is a bit painful for me but I have really never tested
it before:

After checking the german keyboard settings more detailed, I found that
the above mentioned command yet work!

It seems that on non-american keyboards the control characters are
generated by the same _keys_ as on the american keyboard and not by
the keys with the corresponding ascii character as I have expected.

The following appears on the german keyboard:

- ctrl-6 is really a ctrl-^ which is ASCII \036.
  The circumflex is generated with shift-6 on am. keyb.
  So the same ascii code is generated by ctrl-shift-6 on ge. keyb.

- ctrl-] is ASCII \035.
  The right bracket is generated by the rightmost key in the second
  row (the row with the TAB key) besides the return key on am. keyb.
  So the same ascii code is generated by ctrl-+ on ge. keyb.

- Moreover I found: ctrl-\ is ASCII \034.
  The backslash is generated by the rightmost key in the third row
  besides the return key on the am. keyb.
  So the same ascii code is generated by ctrl-# on ge. keyb.

Chris, your tiny patch to fhandler_console.cc to let ctrl-6 work
as ASCII \036 works in console window on ge. keyb., too, so I think
it will work on any native keyboard layout with latin character set.

Of course, in a terminal emulation one has to use the standard keys
as described above (ctrl-shift-6, ctrl-+ and ctrl-# on ge. keyb.).

I would be _very_ interested in experiences with other native
keyboards. Would other readers of this mailing list be so kind to
tell me, if the mentioned control characters are generated in the
same way on their keyboards?

Best Regards,
Corinna