RE: Make quoted strings problem running from cmd.exe...

Earnie,

If I could have quoted the quotes to get around the issue, I would have
done this immediately and carried on regardless. Your quoting
suggestions do not work for me, and I tried them at the beginning. I
will attempt to find out how to do this and report back.

My belief was that the cygwin product was supposed to support both the
native NT shell and the supplied shells in parallel. Is this true? If it
is and make does not properly support NT native commands, then Cygwin as
product has a problem, doesn't it?

If I got hold of a Mygwin version of Make, is it likely to be any
different? If so, where could I get such a thing, or would I need to
download the source and attempt to build it myself?

Kev.
kevin.hill@tab.co.nz

     --- Kevin Hill <kevin_hill@bigfoot.com> wrote:
     > I guess what I really need to do is rebuild CMD.EXE with the
Cygwin
     > toolkit!!! Wonder whether I can get the source code.

     Wonder if the Freedows work is still alive?  Did they get as far as
     CMD.EXE?

     > If I cannot rebuild CMD.EXE, is there anything I can do in the
make
     > syntax to get it to put things in the way I need them to be for
standard
     > NT executables? Any guesses? As mentioned before, when there are
no
     > quotes on the command line, GNUmake outputs stuff differently
from when
     > there is, as demonstrated below. However, when running the
     > Cygwin-compiled shell, it appears the same. It must, however, be
doing
     > something different, mustn't it, or is the change in fact in the
     > runtime itself. Now I am confused.
     >
     > Can anyone help out here?

     Yes, the runtimes are different.  Therefore, you get different
results.

     If you want your program to do what you want, then you'll have to
quote the
     quotes as I've told you before.  E.G.: MyProg -i ^"This Should
Work^" or
     \"This
     Should Work\".  You might want to check out an appropriate MS news
group or
     visit the MSDN to get more info on quoting with the DOS/WIN32
runtimes.

     ===
     Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

     Newbies, please visit
     <http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

     (If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)