Re: Memory Violation With Windres and Shared Data Segments

"Harold Weissfield" <h_weissfield@hotmail.com> writes:

> Thank you for your help, Mumit, Chris, and Anders.  I will try to experiment
> around with the information that you guys have provided, and I shall reply
> back if I find any favorable results.

I did look at it a bit, and here's what's needs to be done:

  - bfd (binutils): Need to be able to specify a shared flag for sections.
    That part is somewhat easy.
  - gas (binutils): Need to be able parse section flags containing shared
    flag. Also easy.
  - gcc: Somehow we need to be able to tell the compiler about this "shared"
    link. MSVC does it with a linker comment, but GCC doesn't have such
    a facility directly. It's going to take a bit of work. I might add
    an __attribute__((shared)), but haven't thought of the other
    possibilities yet.

The current binutils release simply won't work -- the CVS/development tree
has some fixes that are absolutely needed for this to even start working.
However, my quick test is somehow creating bad executable, so more work
needs to be done.

> Mumit, I am not aware of the proper procedures for submitting code, so
> forgive me if my approach is mistaken.  During the process of developing
> this shell, I noticed that the following notification messages for the
> appbar were not in shellapi.h
>
> #define ABN_STATECHANGE    0x0000000
> #define ABN_POSCHANGED     0x0000001
> #define ABN_FULLSCREENAPP  0x0000002
> #define ABN_WINDOWARRANGE  0x0000003
>
> Please feel free to add them to the headers at your convenience.  Meanwhile,
> I thank you once again, and I shall get busy on my coding.

This is Anders' baby. Since he's on the list, we're safe.

Regards,
Mumit