Cygwin sources: How to extract the *.bz2 files under win95?

Hello,

I want to compile the cygnus sources for win95.  The problem is that
I tried everything to extract the 2 files (user-src.tar.bz2 and
dev-src.tar.bz2) without success:
First I found a binary of bzip2 for dos, maybe this works, maybe not,
but not for Win32, that is, not for long file names. When I decompress
the two files with my bzip2.exe, I must rename it to a 8+3 name. Then
after a longer decompression time (I assume) without any message the
program prints out an error message and deletes the file created so
far. Furthermore, I tried to compile a program to fix a corrupted
*.bz2 file which finally worked. But this file extracted the blocks in
the big file erronously. Now, I think it's time to ask a question. Is
there a clean way (under win95) to extract the files?

Thanks in advance

Best regards,
 Johannes                          mailto:eble.uebersetzungen@t-online.de