Re: What to include when creating a distribution using cygwin?

--- Ashley Ward <ashley@dcs.warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi...
Hi Ashley
-8<-
> I'm attempting to discover which bits need including in the package along
> with the executable that I have compiled. Doing objdump -p on the
> executable reveals dependencies on CYGWINB19.DLL, KERNEL32.DLL,
> CYGTCL80.DLL and CYGTK80.DLL.
>
> To simulate this, I copied these four files into the same directory as the
> executable, and ran it. Unfortunately this causes "invalid page fault in
> module <unknown> at 0000:cc267bb8. Running it under gdb is slightly more
> illuminating - I include the output with backtrace below. It all seems to
> fall over in something called from cygwin_crt0 somewhere.
>
> What am I missing?

Firstly, you can't have more than one copy of the cygwin dll in the executable
path.  Multiple instances of the dll can cause this problem.

Secondly, I wouldn't be distributing the kernel32.dll as it could lead you down
the road to a law suit.  Besides, every win32 system comes with it's own
kernel32.dll as it is the core of Win32.

> Apologies for subscribing and jumping in straight away with a question, but
> I have been reading many articles from the archives today with no
> success. Also apologies for my lack of knowledge on Windows - I'm mainly a
> UNIX type bod.

No need for apologies, it's the reason the list exists and the "UNIX type bod"
is the reason that the Cygwin product exists.

-8<-

Is there some reason to still be with the b19 distribution?  It is a bit old
now and a lot of bugs fixed and new enhancements with b20 and b21 is looming
around the corner.
===
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)