xterms and vi

Hi:

I know this question has been discussed before, but I've tried the
solutions that I saw posted in the archives to no avail.

I've got the X11R6.4 client libs downloaded and installed, and am trying to
run vi within an xterm.  The problem is that programs like vi (and ftp)
don't do their I/O in the xterm, they do it in the DOS window associated
with the xterm.

I've set CYGWIN32 (and CYGWIN) to be 'binmode tty', and have an entry in my
termcap file for xterm (although the symptom appears no matter what type of
terminal I've set TERM to be).

I've got Cygwin-B20 installed, and am using StarNet's X-Win32 as my
X-server.

Is there anything else that I've forgotten?

Thanks,
Ryan McFall
mcfallry@cse.msu.edu