Re: A new user of cygwin and unix based system

> If I might make a couple of suggestions:

Suggestions are always welcome!

> First, you might wish to post a mini-FAQ here on a regular basis.

Hmmm... I already post a djgpp mini-faq; I suppose I could do a cygwin
mini-faq also.

> I got the impression from reading your posts here that you were officially
> involved with Cygwin, for instance, but this is the first post of yours
> signed with your title that I recall seeing.

For the record, Chris is the manager of the cygwin group, and I'm the
only engineer in the group (my official title is "senior engineer").
Chris also manages another group in Cygnus, so I'm the only true
full-time employee on cygwin.  Our responsibilities include not only
cygwin development, but also supporting development by other groups on
the windows platform and doing other windows-related internal
projects.  I'm also working on our next "GNUPro" release.

> (I found out about this mailing list from a FAQ included with a cygwin
> distribution, but the address given for subscribing to the list was _wrong_,
> and bounced with an "unknown recipient" error.  I got pointed in the right
> direction by a chap on the NTEmacs mailing list.)

That would be the old gnu-win32@cygnus.com address, which I thought
would bounce with a *useful* message.

> Second, please consider adding either a stand-alone info reader or a groff
> port to the distribution.

I have those on my machine.  Porting was actually pretty easy; you
might try it yourself as an exercise.  Texinfo just needed a makefile
tweak (add .exe to makedoc), GNU groff built without changes, and you
can get "man" sources from any linux distribution - no changes needed
there either.  Our goal (well, mine at least) is to make cygwin
compatible enough that "./configure; make; make install" works just as
often (and as well) as on Unix.  In this case, it almost does.