Re: yikes, what are these?

cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 09:53:01AM +0400, Vadim Egorov wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >Yes, I had to build one of the recent egcs snapshots from sources but it
> >was quite painless. I used Jan 15 cygwin snapshot -- it might have made
> >the trick -- and Mumit Khan's egcs-1.1.2 on the top of WinNT 4.0 sp5.
> >
> >To have the same directory structure as clean B20.1 installation I run
> >configure scripts using i586-cygwin32 as host parameter.
>
> I thought I should point out something, since I have seen an apparent
> misconception here a few times.
>
> If you don't like the default structure that our cygwin releases impose on
> you, there is no reason to use it.  Personally, I move everything around
> to a more "UNIX-like" structure.  So, I have a /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin,
> /usr/local/lib, etc.
>
> What I'm trying to say, is that, with the possible exception of bison
> (which will be fixed in the next release) nothing should be relying
> on builtin path names using the funky H-*/i-* subdirectory structure.
> Feel free to move things into more UNIX-friendly locations.
>
> In fact, that's what we'll be doing in the next release.

First thing i did after installation of B20 was mounting UNIX-like file
system - that's not a question. What I meant is /usr/i586-cygwin32
created
by both cygwin and egcs 'make install'. As soon as you forget to type
'configure i586-cygwin32' they become i686-pc-cygwin32. Personally I
don't
like to see them both under /usr.