Re: "sed" bug?

   Sender: cygwin-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
   Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 05:36:26 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
   Cc: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

   --- "D. Richard Hipp" <drh@acm.org> wrote:
   > Earnie Boyd wrote:
   -8<-
   > > Does the command work interactively under sh vs bash?
   >
   > I don't understand.  "sh" is "bash" on both Linux and
   > Cygwin20, is it not?  I'm not running csh if that is
   > what you are asking.

   No!!  On both systems sh is _NOT_ bash.  sh is ash which was written
   specifically for Linux to be a lightweight shell in order to increase
   processing speed.

That depens on the Linux distribution, I believe.  On my home system,
sh is bash.  And ash is older than Linux, methinks.

Is ash supposed to be a full implementation os the POSIX shell?  If
not, you'll always run into scripts that are hash-banged with
#!/bin/sh but contain constructs ash won't understand.

Not a flame - I understand that there may be excellent reasons to
avoid the full weight of bash in an emulated environment like Cygwin.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.