RE: Postgresql 6. 5 cygwin ports available ?

> Looking for a good SQL Database, I was waiting for Posgresql 6.5 that
> authors claim to be compatible with cygwin. It's _not_ ! or
> at an expensive
> port cost.

I have to say that it works (but sometimes it dies when it tries to run a
new process). I am one of the authors.

> See http://www.postgresql.org/index.html
>
> Using cygwin 20.1 on NT4 SP5 it fails on the very first steps
> (./configure
> !!)
>
> First, it requires cygwin32_ipc otherwise ./configure stops
> saying that gcc
> does not work.
>
> After a _lot_ of patches in Makefile distrib, I finally give
> up on an error
> in sem.h
>
> Is there somewhere a _working_ port available in binary form
> or a diff that
> makes the distribution works?

Binaries are not yet available. But for compiling you don't need any
additional patches, I have tested 6.5beta1.

There is a step-by-step manual at
http://members.tripod.com/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html. But when you mount
all your disks in binary mode it is a bit simpler:
- install Cygwin from full.exe
- install cygipc package and crypt library, headers and libs into the cygwin
tree (links are at the metioned URL)
- install additional headers from src/win32 as described in src/win32/README
- run ./configure; make; make install; ... as described in docs for
PostgreSQL

this is README.NT from the latest development snapshot (after release of
6.5)