Re: text vs binary again (ftp) :-(

   Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:14:22 -0400
   From: "Pierre A. Humblet" <Pierre.Humblet@eurecom.fr>

   The target of a symbolic link is opened according to the rules for the
   target partition (unmounted in your case).
   What that is depends on the version & date of Cygwin you are using.
   In your case, looks like it's "text".

   Pierre

    At 05:03 PM 6/14/99 -0700, you wrote:
   >After trying for a long time to get some very basic functionality with
   >a text mount setup, I gave up and started from scratch, with binary
   >mount only.  I have only a single entry in my mount table:
   >
   >d:    /      native      text=binary
   >
   >Instead of making mount entries for drives shared from other WinBlows
   >machines, I created symlinks for them, for example:
   >
   >amazon:~$ ls -l cstrans
   >lrwxrwxrwx   1  administ        None    22      Jun 2 19:43 cstrans -> //l/cstrans
   >
   >where L: is mapped to another machine's F: in the WinBlows GUI.
   >
   >Overall, this seems to work much better.  Gone are all bash troubles
   >with history, sourcing the startup files, etc.  I compiled man_db and
   >now feel _almost_ like on a true Unixoid system (working as root all
   >the time, of course :-)
   >
   >One trouble remains, though.  When I ftp a file from a Unix server to
   >one of the symlinked foreign drives, newline -> CRLF conversion
   >happens, no matter what I do.  That is, even if the ftp transfer mode
   >is set to binary.  On the other hand, transfers to my local drive work
   >OK.
   >
   >This is with the ftp client from Sergey's inetutils.  I wonder if I
   >should compile an ftp client myself instead?  Has anyone else seen
   >this problem, and can you suggest a way out (other then using horrible
   >dysfunctional WinBlows clients, of course :-)

Unfortunately, if I mount the foreign drives (binary mount), I am
right back where I started - I get the problem with files underneath
the mount point not accessible through relative paths.  I reported
this before and it seems that it was only fixed in a March 28 snapshot
(which I have tried before and it caused other problems).

Looks like a "no exit" situation to me :-(

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.