linking to libbfd

I am trying to link to the BFD library using -lbfd, but I keep getting
error messages such as these:

/cygnus/cygwin-b20/src/bfd/aoutx.h:1608: undefined reference to
`dcgettext__'
/cygnus/cygwin-b20/src/bfd/aoutx.h:1608: undefined reference to
`_nl_msg_cat_cntr'

It appears as if it cannot locate the symbols `dcgettext__'  and
`_nl_msg_cat_cntr'.
I thought the symbols were in libintl.a, which I am linking with also.
I have included all the required library paths as well.

I configured the bfd directory with ./configure --./configure
--enable-targets=m68k-aout --with-included-gettext --with-gnu-ld

and the intl directory with ./configure --with-included-gettext
--with-gnu-ld

The problems appeared when I used the function bfd_openr();

Questions:
1.  How can I resolve the linking issue?
2.  Any other suggestions comments for linking with libbfd.a?
3.  Where can I find additional documentation or examples on using bfd?

Ultimately, I need to create a program that will resolve symbols given a
starting code address.

Thanks.

(Please excuse any missing information, I am not yet completely familiar
with cygwin or with linker internals.)

-Todd Manchester