Ataman telnet and bash

Here's a weird thing.  I have a server that has
a small screen (640x480).  I am using the
Ataman telnet server and the Netterm client.

I configure my telnet client to have a 50x132
window.  I then log in and do
mode con lines=50 cols=132.  At that point
all the native programs seem to know about
the window size (i.e. WinNT more pauses every
50 lines, dir /w uses the full 132 columns, etc.).

However, bash insists that my window is 36x80.

I know this because stty size returns
36 80
and less pauses every 36 lines, ls only uses
80 columns, etc.  Gnus emacs version 20.3 comes
up in a 36x80 window (interestingly enough,
Gnus emacs 19.34 comes up in a full 50x132 window).

I have tried explictly doing
stty rows 50 cols 132 and
manually setting LINES=50 COLUMNS=132
to know avail.  I have set TERM=linux
(and tried various other ones as well).

Why doesn't bash pick up the window size
in the same way that the native programs
do?  How can I fix this?

-Paul Weiss
-Arity