B20.1 NT4 bash.exe: no more processes

I use the Cygwin tools to build a rather large source tree.  During
the build, there are many cases of bash scripts running .BAT files
which then run other bash scripts and so on.  (Some things are
easier done in batch files where you don't have to worry about
quoting backslashes :-(

It seems that when the process tree gets quite deep (approx 10
nested processes running bash.exe), bash sometimes
gives a 'no more processes' error when trying to run another
script.

I seem to be just on the limit, as if I run the master build.bat from
a command prompt window, everything works, but if I run it from
a desktop shortcut I'll get the 'no more processes' error.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to depend only on the current
depth of the process tree.  It usually gets down to this 'critical'
depth and unwinds back up a few levels at least 10 times
before eventually dying.

Anyone seen anything like this, or have a good workaround?

Is there another release in the works?

Anyway, keep up the good work.  I'd never be able to survive
Windows programming without these tools.

Incidentally, I'm using fileutils, shellutils, textutils, findutils and
bash.  I'm not using any of the Cygwin compiler tools or binutils.

Thanks,
Kenn