Re: How to build the cross compiler under CygWin package?

"Jurgis Armanavichius" <jurgis@medelkom.com> writes:

> Does anyone have the experience how to build some cross compiler
> using CygWin package? I tried to use HowTo from this URL:
>
> http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/cygwin-cross-howto.=
> txt
>
> Near from beginning of document is the following text:
> 2. unpack, configure and build:
>
>   $ mkdir /usr/local/src/cygwin-b20            =20
>   $ cd /usr/local/src/cygwin-b20
>   $ bunzip2 -c /tmp/dev-src.tar.bz2 | tar -xf -
>   [ this will unpack everything under src subdirectory ]
>   $ mkdir CROSS
>   $ cd CROSS
>   $ ../src/configure --prefix=3D/usr/local/cygb20 =
> --target=3Di586-cygwin32 -v
>   $ make > make.log 2>&1
>   [ the '2>&1' depends on your shell of course. check for errors . If OK =
> ]
>   $ make install > install.log 2>&1
> First line (mkdir) wont work! I have the message:
> BASH.EXE-2.02$ mkdir /usr/local/src/cygwin-b20
> mkdir: cannot make directory `/usr/local/src/cygwin-b20': No such file =
> or directory

I assume minimal Unix experience for anybody willing to build egcs from
sources. When you create a directory using mkdir (without the -p option),
then all the components must already exist.

  $ mkdir /usr/local/src/cygwin-b20

assumes that you've already created /usr/local/src. You can also do the
following so that mkdir will create the missing pieces for you:

  $ mkdir -p /usr/local/src/cygwin-b20

> OK. I was maked all dirs separately. But the line:
>
>   $ ../src/configure --prefix=3D/usr/local/cygb20 =
> --target=3Di586-cygwin32 -v
>
> Also not works! How I can do necessary configuration? I tried "sh" shell =
> - same results.
> Same situation is with other HowTo documents. The "../somedir/configure"
> not works, and I can't do any future steps.

Try using bash:

  $ CONFIG_SHELL=bash bash ../src/configure --prefix=/usr/local/cygb20 \
    -v i586-cygwin32

I should mention that building on W9x is probably not something I would
even attempt to do! It does however work on NT 4.0/NTFS. I also have
/bin/sh, which is why my ../src/configure bit works.

Regards,
Mumit