Re: support?

--- pcarver99@hotmail.com wrote:
>   Dear sir,
>
>   Sorry to disturb you at work.  I am having 2 problems running the
> cygwin
>   compiler.

There are a many sir and madam that read and respond on this list.  Some maybe
at work, others will be at home, and others may be elsewhere.

>   1. When it starts up it says..."could not find /tmp, please create."
>   Do I need to creat a tmp file, and if so, where do I put it.
>   2.  When I try to compile my programs I get "file ex1.cpp does not
>   exist..."Do I need to save my programs in a certain location for the
>   compiler to find them, or is there anything else I should be doing to
> help
>   the compiler find it?
>
>   Your expertise would be greatly appreciated.

The cygwin package emulates the UNIX environment on the Win32 platform.  If you
don't have a basic understanding of how to use UNIX and it's directory
structure then you will have difficulty in using the cygwin product.  The aim
of the package is to allow the easiest means of porting UNIX source code to a
WIN32 platform.  See the suggestion below concerning alternatives.

To answer question 1:

mkdir /tmp.

To answer question 2:

The compiler will store temporary files in the /tmp directory.  If it doesn't
exist then you will not be able to compile and will get errors which will
probably be meaningless.  The other possibility is that you've asked the
compiler to build a file that it cannot locate.  You must be specific with the
/path/to/the/file.

Alternatives to cygwin:

You will find on Mumit Khan's site a package called "EGCS-1.1.2 for MINGW32".
This contains the GNU gcc/c++ compiler without the UNIX emulation.  If you
don't wish to program using POSIX calls then this may be your best option.
You'll find a pointer to Mumit Khan's site in my .sig.

YWIA,
===
"Earnie Boyd" <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
CYGWIN RELATED HELP: