cygwin.bat fails

Oh you poor misguided amateur :-(

These are the typical comments of one who probably does not really know the
ins and outs of WINNT and its capabilities, but just blows his horn for
something different, just to be heard. Again, I though we had better things
to do than this.

I haves used Solaris, Linux WINNT, and NT wins 8 out of 10 times for what I
want to use it for, and always for a Generic File/Application server,
especially when intergating an Enteprise with Windows 95/98 or NT on the
Desktop.  Linux / Solaris however also have there place and are very good at
what they do.  I will be quite happy when LINUX is as capable, flexible,
MANAGEABLE, secure and as well supported in the IT industry as NT, then
there will be more choice for given applications, but in its current market
segment, NT kills the rest on price/performance/supportability.

Oh, and please don't go on about Linux being 'FREE' as the price of the
software is only about 20% of the TCO for supporting a given environment.
Its lack of vendor support, controlled source/patching quite make sup the
difference for the average corporate environment at present.

NT most certainly has its faults, and some are quite major, but so does
EVERY SINGLE OS EVER WRITTEN !!!.

As for WIN95/98, it is the most broken OS ever to see the light of day, with
so much legacy, supporting it in a real IT environment is a nightmare.
Great for the home/games user, but YUK for any serious development or a
stable platform for bussiness use.  More and more Enterprise customers in
Australia and Europe (I don' know about the US) are going to NT throughout,
many coupled with a UNIX  (HP-UX / SOLARIS) backend and NT server's.

I too will be glad when Windows 2000 is released, as it is fully bassed on
the NT kernal/core and the 3.1/95/98 legacy is GONE !!!

If I were Cygnus, I would't concentrate too much effort into 95/98 as within
3 years it will be dead, (From a commercial standpoint) after Windows 2000
is released.

Of course, if you hate windows so much....why are you interested in CYGWIN
at all ??.

Mark Farnan
Senior NT Engineer
Mission Critical Support Center
Hewlett Packard Australia

-- This position is my own and in no manner reflects the positon of my
employer.