erroneous "are the same file" report

Occasionally, I run into a situation where I try diff on 2 files which show
up in ls -l as having different creation dates and different sizes, but diff
reports no differences.  I just tried to copy one over the other using mv and
it reports

mv:  `file.1' and `file.2' are the same file

(what's with the leading accent grave and trailing apostrophe?)

They do have differences, if I display them using less.

I'm using the 19990503 binary snapshot, under W95/OSR25/USB, with the current
patches, but the same thing happened with earlier versions of both cygwin and
W95.

When diff does report differences, it shows frequent failures to scroll
(over-writing the last line), this being much more frequent with this
snapshot.

Except for these small problems, this snapshot has been working well.