Re: Re: texinfo install

That's one good reason (and one of which I was not aware!).  Another is
the CR/LF conversion, which is controlable but isn't set by default
(please, no arguments about whether this should or shouldn't work and
what is the "proper" default).  Another is WinZip doesn't know about
symlinks and *may* cause problems.  I'm sure there are other issues
as well.  It all depends on how you like to work but if you want to
avoid troubles with unpacking tar-balls, the like facilities that
created them are available (via Cygwin) and work so you'll generally
see less trouble if you use them instead of some generic Windows
tool.

Larry