cygwin.dll

I'm still having a problem with unwanted calls to cygwin.dll (v.s.
cygwin1.dll). I'm trying to write a Makefile, and can't find any way to do
even something REALLY simple.

These are two lines from a Makefile file:

blorf:
	cd bar; javac *.java

In the same directory as the Makefile is a directory called bar that has
some java files in it.

If I invove make like this,

bash-2.02$ make blorf

the terminal window displays this:

cd bar; javac *.java

I get a dialog box complaining that it cannot find cygwin.dll:

The dynamic link library cygwin.dll not found in the specified path

when the dialog is closed, the terminal window displays this:

make: *** [blorf] Error 128
bash-2.02$

I get the same result if I use the --unix option.
bash-2.02$ make --unix blorf

If I invoke it with the --win32 option,

bash-2.02$
bash-2.02$ make --win32 blorf
cd bar; javac *.java
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
make: *** [blorf] Error 1
bash-2.02$

I get a different error.

I have tried three different forms of the line following blorf:

	cd bar; javac *.java
	cd bar; C:/jdk1.1.8/bin/javac *.java
	cd bar; C:\jdk1.1.8\bin\javac *.java

If I do the commands by hand, it works properly and the files are compiled:

bash-2.02$
bash-2.02$ cd Mediator
bash-2.02$ javac *.java
bash-2.02$

If I do a find files for make.exe, only one instance is found.
It has a modification date of 12/1/98 2:00 PM

I don't know what to do. Any ideas?