RE: info: dir: No such file or directory

Mumit,

FYI, I fought info for a long time before I got it to work. Here is
what I found out for my cygwin installation:

to create a dir file, use gen-dir-node (in the texinfo distribution)
1. cd /usr/local/info
2. gen-dir-node /usr/local/info > dir
3. If you are using textmounts, the dir file will have ^Ms
   and you will get an error:

    info: Cannot find the node "Top".

To fix this, use a program such as trans to convert the file to a unix file:

   trans -l dir

All info files will also have to be converted to unix files or info
won't read them properly.

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got trans.exe from. There
should also be a dos2unix program around somewhere.

Hope I could shed some light on the subject.

Kevin Wright

http://www.delorie.com/ for on-line docs of GNU programs such as info.

Regards,
Mumit