compiling problem

I'm trying to figure out how to compile texinfo, or anything else for
that matter.  I'm new to Cygwin, so don't assume that I'm not making
stupid mistakes.

I have the full version of 20.1 on NT4sp4.  I got the texinfo sources
from a gnu ftp site, and understand that it should compile on Cygwin
NT as is.  I ran ./configure (in the texinfo dir), it went for a while
reporting that it found or didn't find things, and seemed to work.  I
then ran make, and it just said

/c: Can't open /c
make: *** [config.h] Error 2

I don't know what to make of this.