Success porting GLE/Troubles with Bibtool

Hello,
	I have succefully compiled GLE (presentation graphics language)
using Cygwin B20.1.  It requires succesfull installation of ncurses and a
few minor changes to some of the gle source code.  If anyone is interested
I'll post the makefiles and the changes.  I'm new so is there a place to
do this other than the list?

Also, Right now I'm trying to port BiBtool, but I'm running into a problem
which I think is Code related.  I get the error:

error.c:45: initializer element is not constant

and line 45 from error.c is:

FILE * err_file   = stderr;

I am assuming this line compiled with erlier versions of gcc (2.7...),
since the author stopped miantaing his web page in 97.
http://ctan.unsw.edu.au/tex-archive/biblio/bibtex/utils/bibtool/BibTool.html

The question is:  Does C allow non constant identifiers? If not, why did
this compile with older gcc's? Is this a egcs problem/bug or is egcs begin
correctand older gcc's just didn't catch this?

I tried some work arounds but the source is quite complex and I don't have
serious amounts of time to devote to this.

Thanks

Vince

 vlabella@comp.uark.edu  University of Arkansas
 501.575.4313            Department of Physics
 4781/Lab/4580/FAX/      Fayetteville, AR 72701