gcc can't find cpp, but GCC_EXEC_PREFIX is not set

The FAQ says:

>If the error is "gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp': No such
>file or directory", the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX environment variable >hasn't been
set
>correctly. The current release does not need GCC_EXEC_PREFIX set >-- it
should be able to find cpp regardless of the install location. But >if you
have it
>set incorrectly, you may still see this message.

I installed b20.1 on drive e:/cygnus, and I get this message,
but this environment variable is not set, according to
printenv, echo $GCC_EXEC_PREFIX, and control panel->
system->environment.

It works ok if I uninstall and reinstall in the default
location, but that disk is too full to leave it there.

Rodney Bates