new user question - Cygwin and Mingw32 compatibility?

This is a more compact version of a question I sent out awhile back.

It there some basic incompatibility between using windows sockets via the cygwin
includes and console IO via mingw32?

The small example program below will compile with gcc, linking with wsock32 and
msvcrt, but core dumps with a STATUS_STACK_OVERFLOW when the dlls are loading,
before it even runs.  I've found several hints as to what might be the problem
in the mail archives, but nothing specific to this.  A cygcheck on the binary
shows both msvcrt.dll and wsock32.dll, which makes sense.  But by trial and
error I've found that these guys seem to collide if both are loaded.  Is this
simply a basic incompatibility, or what?

Thanks much,

--arne

Arne Thormodsen

// donoth.c