Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey

Michael Hirmke wrote:

> Hi DJ,
>
> [...]
> >> and all the other ports available at ftp.franken.de
> >
> >Warning: I've not seen full sources on ftp.franken.de, which is a
> >violation of the GPL.  You'll have to get the sources those packages
>
> Really? I thought, a pointer to the location of the sources would be
> sufficient!?! Besides that IMHO you have to provide the sources *on*
> *request*! For many of the packages there are in fact also source
> packages in the same directory - there are no sources on ftp.franken.de
> for packages, where the orginal source package has been used without
> modifications. In this case there is only a pointer to a location, where
> you can get the sources.
> If not, please tell me, what I have to do to fullfill the GPL! There was
> no intention to violate it.

As I mentioned in a previous mail. RedHat and SuSE don't provide ALL
sources for the pre-compiled binaries, so there is some kind of conflict
here towards GPL.

We would like to put a collection of software to a CD like RedHat and
SuSE do, if this is violating GPL, so why do they.

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>