Re: Cygwin participation threshold

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Could you be more specific?  What "style of writing programs" are you
> referring to?  Is it just the indentation?  That's surely an extremely
> trivial thing.
>
> Cygwin is unusual in that it's written in C++ but hopefully that's
> not *too* big a barrier at this time.
>
> Otherwise, given the vast popularity of GNU tools and the huge number of
> people contributing to them, I'm mystified as to your problems with the
> GNU style of writing software.  There is so much GNU software available
> that one could easily make the case that it is actually the norm.

I personally don't use the GNU coding-style guideline, and I doubt if I
ever will.  I see no reason to second-guess many many years of proven
and (mostly) consistent style, but that hasn't stopped me from sending
in contributions, formatted according to GNU guidelines, to various GNU
packages. BTW, there's still no consensus on GNU style in C++ coding,
but since most GNU packages are written in C, this has not been a big
issue.

There's always Emacs (or indent) to help in the formatting process.

As for C++, Cygwin really doesn't use C++ features other than the most
basic kind. This is actually good for a project like this. I doubt
if that will deter the determined.

Regards,
Mumit