B20.1: subtle "no fork" and sys hang

*** This bug is not in the FAQ or the mail archives ***

We are developing cross platform, open source, software and
use a highly-recursive gmake to manage system builds, etc.
Our system builds reliably on every (unix) platform, but we
have periodic errors under NT4.0/Cygwin where the sytem
sometimes "no forks" and sometimes it hangs (on either sh or
ls - at least those are the processes that are out of control
according to Task Manager).  The weirdest thing is that
this bug never seems to exhibit itself on some machines (i.e:
my machine at home) while always exhibiting itself on others
(i.e: the machines at school).  For the life of me, the only diff
between them seems to be that the machine at home is not
an NT Server client.  That is, they all have NT4.0 w/ SP4
& Cygwin20.1.

To recreate the bug,  get:

  http://watsen.net/test_cygwin.zip  (867KB)

Unzipping the file creates a directory called "Bamboo."

>From Command.exe:

  cd Bamboo
  notepad dev\initdev.bat  (set BB_DIR)
  dev\initdev.bat
  gmake compile

If you don't see the error the first time, try again:

  gmake clobber compile

And again, and again, and again...

FYI:  look at

  Bamboo/no_fork.txt                  (shell capture)
  Bamboo/sh_outOfControl.bmp  (Task Manager capture)

K.