"Accented" characters

I recently installed cygwin release 20.1, and almost everything works
just great!

There is a couple of problems, however.  When I write (in bash)
	ls //c/tmp/l*.txt
the response is
	//c/tmp/l?smig.txt
even though the real filename is "läsmig.txt" (the second character in
the filename has the code 228, or 0xE4...it is an 'a' with two dots).

The second (probably related) problem is: a file contains a list of
filenames on separate lines, and I have a shellscript that reads the
list file line by line, and works on the files one by one.  When it
sees the line
	//c/tmp/läsmig.txt
and sets the variable F to this value, an
	ls "$F"
results in the following error:
	ls: //c/tmp/lSsmig.txt: No such file or directory

Strange, isn't it?

I have done the following at the bash prompt, but nothing is changed:
	set meta-flag On
	set convert-meta Off
	set output-meta On

The FAQ and other information on your web site didn't mention this, so
I thought it was best to send you a letter about it.

Best regards,

/hj

--
Name: Henrik Johansson, email:  Henrik.Johansson@Nexus.SE,
Phone: +46 18 171811, Fax: +46 18 696516,