[PB] "no acceptable ld" : cywin32 pb, way to handle win path ?

Here are some excerpts of a problem discussed in the cywin32 mailing list.
I thought it might be interesting for the automake people too (this message
is also crossposted CC: to the cywin32 list for information).

http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/1999-02/msg00702.html

It seems related to the way configure script handles path (many of use
encoutered the pb with different configure scripts) :

 Alex <alexl@i-france.com> :

Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de> :

Julian Kinraid <jkinraid@clear.net.nz>

"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <Ssiddiqi@InspirePharm.Com> :

>>export LD=/cygwin/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe
>>
>>Just make sure the path is correct.
>>

>Theoretically it supposed to work.  But; it does not awlays by doing
>export... before using configure script.  Many Configure scripts apprantly
>ignore it and seach for LD="$..." whatever.  Hardcoding the ld.exe path in
>configure works at least always in my hands.

"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <Ssiddiqi@InspirePharm.Com> :

>This problem also occurs with LessTif and many other codes.  It is because
>Cygwin has a different style.
>
>I usually search the configure script for something like "LD="$...." and
>replace all those occurances with
>LD="/usr/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cywgin32/bin/ld.exe"  This hard codes the ld.exe
>path and also include at your ./configure --with-gnu-ld if this option is
>available (check with ./configure --help).  Hard coding ld.exe path in
>configure script always has worked at least in my hands.

Any help frop the automake people would be really appreciated, sorry if it
has been discussed before...

Thanks a lot