Re[2]: Cygwin B20 - fseek under gcc fails to reposition on text files

Hello Christopher,

Christopher Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:

[]

CF> Currently, Corinna, Mumit, and a couple of other people are the only
CF> outside contributers to the project.  Everyone else seems to be in
CF> "Cygwin doesn't work the way I think it should when I run program X.
CF> Here's the error message." mode.

    With other opinions expressed in this thread, I'd like to add
following: it's quite understood that most people are in that mode -
they are using cygwin as their tool, something like car, and are not
concerned, or able to, how it's functioning. Hopefully, that's what
you wanted - to give people nice tool, to keep balance with such toys
like msvc, delphi, etc.

    But when someone wants to fix or add something to cygwin, here
comes another problem - it's high enough threshold to be able to do
so. Even higher threshold to make it acceptable for inclusion back.
By this I mean whole technology issues - not Cygwin technology, I call
it GNU technology - configuration/setup methods, coding styles (not
just mere conventions for identifier naming / block indentation, but
modularization conventions, from source modules thru libs to
executables, etc.) And all that are obstacles to contributing. But of
course I don't say that's bad - there must be order and who willing to
contribute should know and accept it, but it requires time, and
potential contributors may not have it, just the same as developers
may not ;-) .

    Ok, I turn down considering problems of open-source
development, this is hardly appropriate place for it.

CF> I'm collecting the error messages and hope to investigate problems but
CF> the reality is that this is a volunteer effort for DJ and me.  Our
CF> real jobs don't offer much time for tracking down net problems.

CF> -chris

Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:paul-ml@is.lg.ua