b20.1 (bash) hangs on NT4 SP4 in "command not found" situation

I've just downloaded b20.1 user.exe and find that when I type a command

which doesn't exist (as happens all too often) in bash or sh, the window

hangs for minutes. It does come back, but it is such a long wait (2
minutes) that I'm finding it unusable. If I type "type blah" it also
hangs for a few minutes. Control C doesn't seem to do anything (at least

nothing fast). After it hangs, the cursor is left flashing on the next
line, but it won't accept input for awhile.  (I tried B19 and got the
same). When it is hung, the task manager shows bash using some cpu but
not much (0-1%)
Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris Cox