Re[2]: Cygwin B20 - fseek under gcc fails to reposition on text files

Hello Corinna,

Corinna Vinschen <corinna.vinschen@cityweb.de> wrote:

>>     So, for more than twenty years MS maintains myth about "special
>> format" of text files of their systems. It's hardly believable. Since

CV> The best way would be to throw away and ignore any newline with
CV> more than one single character.

    Yes, and bad thing is that people came say, from Unix, and don't knowing
that here text files are special, but constantly getting binary file
corruptions when filtering gifs, piping gzips, etc. may think that way is
right ;-(

CV> But let's get serious.

CV> IMHO, above all text file processing should be done according to the
CV> underlying OS and it's vendor, also if this is wretched.

    Bad thing is that issue very minor. People might don't care what
line-endings text files have, they might don't care that there's
notepad and bat files. And when their favorite vi chokes on that \r at
the end (or beginning? ;-) ) of line they might teach him chop it -
after all, that's not notepad. But they might think that wrapping each
command piping binary files in shell script setting CYGWIN (having
spent some nice time trying to understand why their files are
corrupted and asking maillist why this bug) is too awkward.

   Of course, that far too imaganable picture, just like my previous
massage has, just like several years ago cygwin itself was only
imaganable. I don't believe that things enpictured by me will be, or
even should be, done to cygwin. I just wanted to hyperbolize it,
showing that changing itself is not an edge alternative, all
determained by ammount of changes, and there might be the golden mean,
exactly what you'll do. (That's just because I have a ho that Cygnus
guys quite conservative - I remember Christopher Faylor's hesitating
in cygwin-developer whether correcting bug won't break user (or
customer) code. Maybe you, Corinna, as leading contributor, and DJ, as
author of alternative approach, and working for Cygnus, have other
opinions).

   But there still that idea - there maybe niche that cygwin doesn't
fill - to be more unixish despite be less winnish.

CV> The second choice has the advantage, to be easy to implement.

CV> The third choice should be implemented, if s.o. has nothing important
CV> to do.

CV> Regards,
CV> Corinna

    Thanks for not taking previous text as profanity, that's was just rebellion
humoresqe, just forgot adding trailing disclaimer ;-)

Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:paul-ml@is.lg.ua