RE: Cygwin B20 - fseek under gcc fails to reposition on text files

Ok I appoligize.

Here is the "Microsoft VC++ Run-Time Library Reference" quote:

For streams opened in text mode, fseek has limited use, because
carriage return-linefeed translations can cause fseek to produce
unexpected results.  The only fseek operations guaranteed to work on
streams opened in text mode are:

* Seeking with an offset of 0 relative to any of the origin values.

* Seeking from the beginning of the file with an offset value returned
from a call to ftell.

Also in text mode, CTRL+Z is interpreted as an end-of-file character
on input.  In files opened for reading/writing, fopen and all related
routines check for a CTRL+Z at the end of the file and remove it if
possible.  This is done because using fseek and ftell to move within
an file that ends in CTRL+Z may cause fseek to behave improperly near
the end of the file.

---

Based on the documentation then I'll have to agree that your programs
isn't behaving as the documentation states that it should.  But, which
is wrong, fseek or ftell?

Sorry for speaking out of line,
Earnie.