Problem with make and executables in current directory

My PATH environment variable did not (until just now) include "." as one of
its entries. Until recently, this caused no problems. Windows seems to look
for executables in the current directory anyway, and I could use GNU make to
compile and run C programs without needing to specify a directory.

Just recently, however, GNU make has stopped being able to find executables
in the current directory, unless "." is explicitly included in PATH.

a. Is this behavior intentional?

b. Rather stranger, why has it only just (last week or so) stopped finding
executables in the current directory? This has not only happened to me
(Windows 95), but also to a colleague running NT4. Both of us are almost
100% sure that it used to work until recently, and that we have not changed
anything in our setups.

This is all with Cygwin 20.1.

Richard Stanton