Re: Executing a BASH script from a start menu shortcut

Forgot to copy the list on this reply...

I can't guarantee this will work, since I haven't fully recovered from a recent hd crash, but try the following:

Set your shortcut target to be:
    run bash --login myfile
where
    run is from my run-1.1.4 package. available at ftp://belgarion.resnet.gatech.edu/pub/run/run-1.1.4.zip

and myfile is:
startx

Note: no "#!/bin/bash" . You don't need it when putting the script filename in the commandline. Oh, and make sure that bash is in your Windows path. There's probably a more elegant way to do this, so that you don't need "myfile", but see if this works, first.

Hope this helps
--Chuck Wilson

Robert Campbell wrote:

 Does anybody know how to create an icon on the desktop (or from the start menu) that will execute a bash script without starting a dos prompt. I have cygwin setup to start my X server by executing 'startx' from any bash shell, and I would like to know how I can create an icon on my desktop to do this, without bringing up a command prompt window.I would like the script to do something like this:#!/bin/bash --loginstartx -----------------
"Please don't remind me of the way things should be.  We all know how they should be, I am merely stating the way things are now."