Re: Help: Make going wild

Thank you very much for the responses to my mail.

I have got two confirmations that the cygwin+NT4sp4 is cool, but
unfortunately I am positive that this is the source of the problem in my
case. Apparently Microsoft investigated CYGNUS and managed to slip some
goodie into sp4 (:-)

So the situation again:

make calls the sh script, which calls dsmake, which uses several exec's
to manipulate files (cat, cp, rm)

Dsmake is our proprietary preprocessor, built using lex/yacc

Initially I compiled dsmake using VC++ (and MKS lex/yacc). This worked
ok in NT4sp3.

When I switched to sp4 (reproduced on at least three different machines)
some of the exec'd Unix functions go wild (take 99%CPU, grow in size
~50K/sec, and never quit). It is random: sometimes it is rm sometimes cp
I have even seen cmd.exe doing it !. Everytime this happens there is
empty line printed to the screen (?)

After recompilation of dsmake using CYGNUS tools (lex/yacc/gcc)
everything so far works as expected.

I see following possible explanations:
1. sp4 changed the exec system call in a way incompatible with CYGWIN
2. dsmake compiled with sp3 will not work with sp4
3. conceivably there could be error in VC++ or MKS lex/yacc, which shows
only after seemingly unrelated sp4 update
4. I ruled out error in dsmake itself (it's been around for a while on
several Unixes, the logic is simple, and has been debugged and purified
carefully), but there may be some lex/yacc non-portable stuff, which
shows on MKS lex/yacc only

I have no resources nor enough CYGNUS experience to investigate error,
if the new recompiled dsmake passes all tests - I will drop the issue.
However option No 1 above is my best bet - as such it may warrant
investigations by somebody. I can reproduce problem and send
nonproprietary part of the code if there is interest.

regards

--
Tadeusz
:: The public opinion should be alarmed by its own nonexistence