Re: CHMOD not changing mode

We need to get this clearly spelled out in the FAQ. The "EA DATA. SF" file
is only used on FAT partitions IF the "ntea" flag is set in the CYGWIN
environment variable. If "ntea" is not set or if the partition is NTFS,
the "EA DATA. SF" file is NOT used at all. "ntea" MUST be set for chmod to
have any effect on permissions. "EA DATA. SF" will be created on all FAT
partitions that the Cygwin tools use if "ntea" is set, including floppies.
This file can grow VERY large and deleting it requires you to be outside
Windows. There are no special permissions on the "EA DATA. SF" file AFAIK.

Larry Hall lhall@rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc. (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA 02482-7797 http://www.rfk.com