RE: Budweiser screen saver - beware!! (and other hoaxes)

On 24 Nov 98, Rick Rankin had this to say about RE: Budweiser
screen saver - beware!!:

> Nothing but a hoax. Check out
>
> http://www.kumite.com/myths/
>
> and
>
> http://www.eliashim.com/vcenter/irina.html#BUD

It's generally best not to forward these kinds of bogus warnings
(certainly not without verifying them first - start with the Hoaxes
page).  By blindly forwarding them, you're actually spreading the
virus/trojan/whatever.

For the real info on security and virus issues, you can check out
the CIAC site at Livermore:

http://ciac.llnl.gov/

There are many other sites as well.  It's amazing; at my last
employer, we actually got a company wide email from the chief of
security (supposedly "computer" security) about the dangers of the
Good Times email virus.  I probably shouldn't have flamed her.  At
least I gave her the address of the CIAC site...

The guy at my new company distributes selected CIAC alerts to those
who express an interest (and I didn't even have to tell him about
it; he already knew).  That gives me a little bit more confidence...

Later, Steve

-