Re: building egcs on Win32 platforms

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Brendan Simon wrote:

> Is it possible to use the cygwin user-tools (bash, etc) but have the
> MinGW32 compiler tools in the path instead of the Cygwin32 compiler
> tools ?

Theoretically, you would be using a cygwin32->mingw32 crossgcc for that.
But since mingw32 and cygwin32 share the same object format, in this
case you could take a native cygwin32 compiler, assembler and linker, and
fit it with a mingw32 gcc spec file, include files and libraries.

> How is the naitive MinGW32 built from the sources ?  Using itself or
> Cygwin32 ?

I have used a variety of unix based something-to-mingw32 crosscompilers to
build native mingw32 compilers, basically because these unix boxes are so
much faster than cygwin32. I believe Mumit Khan uses the same method.
You can read all about this so called canadian cross in the crossgcc FAQ.

But, I guess you could use cygwin32 or even a djgpp based crossgcc to
build a native mingw32 gcc.

Happy compiling,
JanJaap