Online Book (was Re: DirectX (was Re: server X))

Hi folks,

On 28 Sep 98, at 18:53, the Illustrious h5@sjakk.fi wrote:

> There's an online book about DirectX available at:
> www.pbg.mcgraw-hill.com/betabooks/root/index.html
> It should include everything about the DirectX ind Win9x *and* WinNT

	Thanks for the information...I was so excited that I had to check it out,
so thought I'd give a brief review:

	The book seems to be fairly complete except for a couple of things...it
pre-supposes that you are using MSVC/C++ or one of the MS development
suites...It also presupposes that you will be using MFC for all of your C++
interfacing; MFC doesn't work with anything but MSVC/C++ and Borland 5.x.
It doesn't even mention NT except on the cover.  In fact, the text states
specifically that you should read "Programming Win95" before getting too far
into the book itself.

	The actual DirectX calls referenced are, for the most part, incompatible
with Gnu-Win32.  The book also assumes that you have a completely
functioning collection of the latest _released_ MS proprietary DirectX API
sets, specifically DirectX 6.

	The book does take some time to give brief tutorials of MFC and COM.
Beyond that, however, it hasn't much to offer for anyone who doesn't use
MSVC/C++ or Borland C/C++ under the Win9x OS.  If you're using Win9x
and MSVC/C++ or Borland, it might be worth checking out...otherwise, don't
bother.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Information Systems Consultant