RE: EGCS 1.0.2: weird include paths with gcc -b, specs, etc

Hi Dirk,

I found that if I set my directory structure similar to:

c:\root\bin
c:\root\usr\bin
c:\root\usr\include
c:\root\usr\lib
c:\root\usr\local\bin
c:\root\usr\local\include
c:\root\usr\local\lib

I put cygwinb19.dll, bash.exe and sh.exe in \root\bin
I put the other executables from the cygwin distribution in
\root\usr\bin
I put the cygwin includes and libs in \root\usr\include and
\root\usr\lib
I put the mingw32 distribution in \root\usr\local\bin ..\include ..\lib
I mount c:/root /

To execute with cygwin I make sure that the PATH has \root\usr\bin
first and point GCC_EXEC_PREFIX to \root\usr\lib\gcc-lib\

To execute with egcs-mingw32 I make sure that the PATH has
\root\usr\local\bin first and point GCC_EXEC_PREFIX to
\root\usr\local\lib\gcc-lib\

I've been using it this way, mostly egcs-mingw32, for months now
without problems.

As an aside note, since I primarily use mingw32 I set my default
processing modes to text!=binary and the CYGWIN32=notty nobinmode.  If
you want to modify the file mode defaults for a particular package
then as the first executed statement within the main function add
`_fmode = _O_BINARY;', both of these are declared in fcntl.h.

Hope this helps,

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
--earnie_boyd@yahoo.com--
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

PS: I may be competent enough to modified the gcc source; however,
time, space limitations and other interests have kept me from it.

http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1998-Apr/0028.html

> > > I'm trying to set up a dual cygwin32/mingw32 environment with
the egcs
> 1.0.2
> > > cygwin32 binaries and being defeated by some strange behaviour
with
> search
> > > paths.
>
> Thanks, Mumit, for your answer.
>
> So, for clarification, I want to be able to use the CYGWIN32
binaries to
> build CYGWIN32 or MINGW32 objects according to the environment
settings -
> ideally without having to do gcc -b i386-mingw32 ...
>
> > > The binary distribution of egcs-1.0.2 for cygwin32 seems to have
some
> > > hard-wired directories built into it, specifically
> > >
> > > 	../../../../../include
> > > and
> > >  	../../../../i386-cygwin32/include
> > >

> > Yeah, this is what I call the "Cygnus unlibsubdir" patch that is
standard
> > with Cygnus built distributions. Basically, unlibsubdir patch
relocates
> > the entire GCC package with only one env variable --
GCC_EXEC_PREFIX --
> > and everything is accessed relative to that. This change affects the
> > language drivers, cpp and proto tools only.
> >
> This seems like a good default but shouldn't explicit C_INCLUDE_PATH
etc
> variables override it?
> > I need to weigh my time against other factors, and unless someone
provides
> > a different mechanism, while keeping the "relocatability" feature,
I'm