Re: EGCS 1.0.2: weird include paths with gcc -b, specs, etc

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Fieldhouse, Dirk wrote:

> ref: Earnie Boyd's http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1998-Apr/0028.html
>
> I'm trying to set up a dual cygwin32/mingw32 environment with the egcs 1.0.2
> cygwin32 binaries and being defeated by some strange behaviour with search
> paths.
>
> The binary distribution of egcs-1.0.2 for cygwin32 seems to have some
> hard-wired directories built into it, specifically
>
> 	../../../../../include
> and
>  	../../../../i386-cygwin32/include

Yeah, this is what I call the "Cygnus unlibsubdir" patch that is standard
with Cygnus built distributions. Basically, unlibsubdir patch relocates
the entire GCC package with only one env variable -- GCC_EXEC_PREFIX --
and everything is accessed relative to that. This change affects the
language drivers, cpp and proto tools only.

As with any choice of this type, there are pros and cons. I had built the
first mingw32 release without this, and hence you needed all the other
environment variables to run. I supplied a bat file to make life simple,
and then ended up answering so many email messages that I got rather sick
and tired of it. So, for egcs-1.0.2, and it will be so for egcs-1.1, I
added this patch and haven't received a single message about not being
able to run GCC due to incorrect variable setting. I believe Earnie was
the only person to voice his opposition to this, but then again, he is
more than a casual user, and fully capable of rebuilding from sources.

I need to weigh my time against other factors, and unless someone provides
a different mechanism, while keeping the "relocatability" feature, I'm
afraid this feature (or bug, depending on who you are) is here to stay.

What I *am* willing to do however is to build the drivers (gcc.exe, etc)
without this patch and put it in a separate archive so you can use those
instead. The only programs affected are the language drivers, cpp,
protoize and unprotoize.

BTW, the --exec-prefix and --prefix settings are different for cygwin32
(which use different values for these) and mingw32 (uses the same value
for both), so what you see is consistent.

Regards,
Mumit

-